Thursday, April 28, 2011

House Whispers

This Digital Storytelling project was done using Twitter. Here is the URL to see it on Twitter: http://twitter.com/LeonoraAP.
We had to write 3 Tweets about a story we were considering with each Tweet only allowing for 140 characters  (including spaces). After much struggle I was able to condense my story's opening sentences to the following:

She could hardly believe she had acquired the beautiful old place so easily, almost as if it was meant to be.  Faint whispers startled her…

They were coming from the back room and as she approached there was a rush of footsteps and the rustling of heavy drapes. “Who is in there?”

Turning the knob she encountered a bare room. Where were the noises coming from? Abruptly, her phone’s ringtone broke the sudden silence.

“Hello”, the prior owner’s voice shook slightly, “I wanted you to have the house, but there are some things about it that you should know…"
In doing this project I learned to be more succinct with my writing, something I don't often accomplish. It was interesting seeing what all the hoopla was about with Twitter.  Much of a story depends on the words that are chosen and the interplay of language, so as a medium for storytelling I found it to be frustratingly limiting, except for Haiku perhaps. I think it is a viable tool for business as I discovered much to my chagrin from all the updates I received on various institutions I chose to "follow".

No comments:

Post a Comment