Friday, April 29, 2011

If I Were 10 Years Old Again


This new Digital Story was created using Voicethread:
http://voicethread.com/share/1989878/


If I were ten years old again, the first thing I would do is get my Hula hoop with the sparkly balls inside and join Lily across the street to see the colors fly!
Then, I would run one of the many races around our combined backyards, listening to that crinkly sound of the Australian pine needles beneath my skinny, long legs, and feeling the wind whipping up my ponytail like a mad windsock.

Next, I would climb the Gumbo Limbo tree near the park, even though Dad would have to get me down later, because it was the very best Pirate’s view.   

I’d draw my masterpieces in bright chalk on the sidewalk as the sun was starting to set.
And finally, I would lie on the wooden dock and feel the sun on the wide planks and stare out at every ripple on the bay and I’d point out all the animal shapes in the clouds without worrying that I should be doing something useful with my time.

And I’d do that until Mom finally called me in, signaling the end of a perfect day.

When I initially considered what I would write for this project, I thought of wanting something magical such as having the ability to fly. Then I fantasized about doing something creative and liberating such as being a ballerina and leaping and twirling with seemingly effortless grace.  Even though they were both refreshingly liberating daydreams, I realized that what I most wanted was to be a kid again back in South Beach before it became South Beach.  It made me so happy to remember all the things that I used to do and would love to do again. No one would question a kid with her legs up in the air staring at the clouds, but they would certainly think a grown woman addled for doing the same. It was very revealing, almost therapeutic!
Although I did this project as one of my assignments I kept envisioning my brothers as the audience and their enjoyment when recalling our adventures. I wanted to evoke unmitigated freedom and its resulting joy.

Uploading the images was very easy, as was writing in the captions, but the voice-over with the phone threw me off completely because the recording kept saying it couldn’t hear me. I ended up including captions along with the recording, which makes it slow-going.
With Voicethread I learned a method of showing a slide presentation while reading the story, which is great for Digital Storytelling. I do want to get a mic for my computer though, and do another one to share with my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment